Thursday, February 28, 2013

Football

Before viewing this movie I had no idea how serious sports injuries could be. Throughout my life, starting at age 4, I have been involved in numerous sports. From soccer to softball I did it all, and I've had many sports-related injuries. Although I have never had diagnosed concussion, I have taken several lashings to the head, but like most athletes, I always got right back up and continued to play. This video made me more aware of the possible damage me or my teammates could be doing to ourselves. It's scary to think that taking a blow to the head could result in lifelong damage to the brain.

I think more coaches and players should view this video. We start softball practice in August, which is a relatively hot month. There have been a few times at practice where I thought I was going to pass out because of the heat. Hearing about the high school football player dying of a heat stroke/exhaustion made me realize that there's more to life than just sports. You may be a hero in a game, but injuries can permanently change your life forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment